Wednesday 27 August 2008

Aug. 26, 2008 From the Road: Coasting the Sea of Japan


8/26/2008
Choosing to ride the Sea of Japan coast is the best decision yet. The view today and everyday is testimony to that. Yesterday I was welcomed into the home of an ex-Japanese Coastguard man upon my inquiry for a campsite. He and his wife now run a marine sports club and equipment rental place at Yura Beach in Miyazu. If you're ever there, look up Marina Fiji and visit them. The name is Onishi-san. They fed me and gave me a bed for the night, plus breakfast! One more act of kindness I have experienced.

Today, I'm camping again and have made friends with a university student from Mie University in Tsu City(he's studying agriculture!). Lovely chap. We've just been watching the view I've just photographed from Imakoura Camp-jo.

The 100yen a minute showers mean that cleanliness comes at a premium. 300yen is all I had. The high power paint stripper shower head did most of the work. The upside was no lights and the liberating experience of walking around naked in the dark with all the nocturnal creatures. Power-hosed and liberated in three minutes... I could camp forever.

A word about my new friend. He's 19, studying agriculture at Mie Daigaku in Tsu City. He's walking and using the trains to travel. His final destination is Okinawa(started from Aomori). His name is Amu Urayama. Good luck mate, and be safe!
Chetan

No comments: