Sunday 17 August 2008

Aug. 18, 2008 From the Road, conquered Hokkaido

Aug. 18, 2008
I'm writing this on my cellphone to Steve following night after sleepy night trying desperately to keep myself and everyone updated. Hokkaido was beautiful, and I got to ride with BEE Japan the first two and half days. Google their page! Good times; then, it was solo from Tomamae-cho into wide open spaces, getting wonderous(if that's a word) from people, some of whom have become friends; people who have looked after me, making sure I've eaten, I'm okay and ready to roll. Complete strangers. There's something about soloing like this, you're exposed to the elements on a bike with a trailer, which had been the start point for all my conversations. I've met at least one new person everyday and chatted with them like we knew each other from some place. Really wonderful riding too! Though, I confess to wishing for continuous mountain climbs over rolling hills.

I'm safe and in Niigata tonight. In a B & B, which isn't as glamorous as it sounds; a lovely, cosy place though in a quite part of town. A chance to dry my things after days of rain and more to come, I hear.

There's been loads of screaming and shouting by me at Mother Nature and cars and trucks making bow waves through puddles. But, I love her despite conspiring to keep me off the road and f--up me schedule. On target to date, 1213km later. Got another big one tomorrow in 30 degree heat. Time for bed now.

1 comment:

raj said...

Good show Chetan. Any pictures for us to savour. right now enjoying fresh soyabeans boiled by Kaz who is from Japan. His wife actually also, was teaching english in Japan and that is how they met. Who knows I might have a niece from Japan! We will be watching Akiri Kurusawa movies in the next while.
Rajumama